re-creates children's favorite food choices so they are full of nutrition and full of flavor.
Today, we are making over a chicken nugget happy meal.
The typical chicken nugget Happy Meal contains 4 nuggets, 1 small fry, 1 small soda, 520+ calories, 560mg of sodium and loads of saturated fat, offers little to no nutrition. Plus a fun toy!
Our chicken nugget Healthy Meal includes, 4 nuggets, 1 small yam fry, 1 small drink, less than 350 calories, and packed full of nutrients, such as protein, vitamins B & C, fiber, and potassium. Plus a fun toy! See the recipe below for all the delicious details.
1 pound chicken breast, cut into chunks (I use organic, free range chicken)
2 tablespoon oil (olive oil, it my oil of choice!)
1 tsp each tamari (Japanese soy sauce) and oil
1 tsp each salt and sugar
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp each black pepper and garlic powder
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup flour (rice flour for those who go Gluten free)
1/4 cup corn or rice starch
1/2 tsp baking soda
1. Wash cut chicken in cold water. Mix together egg, oil, tamari, salt, sugar, poultry seasoning, pepper,and garlic powder in a large plastic bag. Place chicken into the bag and shake, coating each piece.
2. Place bag into freezer for 30 minutes. Remove from freezer and pour the water into the bag; shake again.
3. In a bowl, mix the flour, cornstarch, and baking soda pour into the bag and shake again. ( for a sweeter twist, add crushed up Captain Crunch cereal, allow it to coat the chicken pieces.)
4. In hot frying pan with an inch of oil, place a few chicken pieces at at time. Fry until golden brown on both sides (about 3 minutes per side.) Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to allow excess oil to drain. The chicken nuggets are ready to be devoured!
*Nuggets can be frozen for up to 3 weeks. To re-heat, place nuggets in 350 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Yam fries:1/2 tsp Cinnamon (optional)
1/2 tsp salt (I use coarse Kosher salt or coarse sea salt)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb yams
Preheat oven to 400 °F
- Peel yams (or leave skin on..it's up to you)and cut into large chunky french fry pieces.
- Drizzle with olive oil and spread out onto baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and salt (or just use seasoning salt).
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly brown on the bottom. Turn and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until soft in the middle and crisp on the outside.
Serve the nuggets and fries with dipping sauce and drink of choice. Add a fun element by placing the meal in a home made happy meal box, toss in an inexpensive toy and enjoy your Healthy Meal.
(*take apart a happy meal box to make a template, trace onto poster board, let your kids get creative and decorate the box, tape it together and enjoy!)